Friday, October 28, 2011

Jasper's New Fort

So I am addicted to Pinterest and saw this idea to make a fort beside the crib/bed. There were never really any clear instructions so I came up with my own.

First thing I did was measure the area I wanted to Fort to go. I knew I wanted it to be cubed shaped. So I went to Lowes and got 9 pieces of PVC pipe each 5ft long 1/2 inch thick, 2 elbows, and 6 - 90 degree side outlet (my store only had ones that were ribbed on one side so I ended up having to get these extenders to screw in so the PVC would fit). Everything ended up costing me around $15

I used a small hacksaw to cut all my pieces into the sizes I needed

Next I started assembling it! I didn't want there to be a bar across the opening so I left it open. This is the base of the Fort. Using 3 pieces of the PVC, the 2 elbows, and 2 of the 90 degree inserts. Make sure the elbows and inserts are facing the correct way to insert the next piece of PVC.

 Start building up with 4 pieces of the PVC pipe and attaching the remaining 4 - 90 degree inserts

Put in the remaining 4 PVC pipe - I didn't press it together very tight at the point because I knew I was going to need to get it apart to put the fabric on.

I didn't do any picture instructions for the fabric curtains I made for the fort (Sorry!!). If you don't sew you can always use Hem tape and just make a small pocket for the PVC to fit into - or even use Velcro. I just sewed a small pocket. Once the fabric is all on I pressed the PVC pipe together really firmly to set it. You can always use PVC glue but I knew I might want to move mine around and change the fabric eventually so I didn't glue mine.  

I love how it turned out! I found this vintage red and cream fabric at Hobby Lobby for $3.99 a yard (It was on sale for even less than that) I ended up getting 8 yards for around $20. So the whole project cost me less than $40 and Jasper loves playing in it!

Friday, October 21, 2011

Filing Cabinet Revamp

My mom came to visit a couple of weeks ago - and when she is here I take advantage of her as much as I can! We sewed, and sewed, and sewed! After she leaves it always makes me motivated to keep on with all my projects. We re-did the guestroom (and others)  on this trip and turned it into craft room/guestroom instead of home office/guestroom. I needed a place to keep all my files and extra craft items so I bought an old filing cabinet and decided to vamp it up a little!

Old filing cabinet on craigslist for $20

I spray painted the cabinet a nice cream color (2 cans of spray paint $8)

I removed the drawers and the hardware

Next I cut out a piece of fabric slightly larger than the face of the drawer (Fabric on sale at Hobby Lobby $4 a for a yard - didn't even use 1/2 a yard though so I will make a pillow out of the remaining fabric)

I didn't have any Modge Podge around the house so I made my own by mixing equal parts Elmer's glue and water (I put mine in a old water bottle I had and shook it up really well). Next I coated the front of the drawer face really well with the glue and laid the fabric on top smoothing it out so there were no air bubbles or creases. I used clothespins to hold the edges down (it didn't take it long to dry at all)

I know no one was going to see the back so I didn't do a perfect job but i did make sure to tuck the corners nice and neat. I reattached the old hardward because it wasn't in bad condition.

Finished product! I am so happy about how it turned out and for around $30! It goes really well with my new craft/sewing table I made (It's currently a mess so I did not include a picture - but will as soon as it gets cleared off)

Here are a few more project my mom and I worked on while she was here! Sorry I do not have tutorials on them!
Master bathroom curtain:

New fabric book "shelf" in Jasper's room - it's perfect for him to get the books out himself:

Guest bathroom curtains: