Saturday, March 24, 2012

Liquid Laundry Detergent

I love making my own laundry detergent! It is so much cheaper and it works great. I have used the powder and the liquid now and I think I prefer the liquid. My washer and dryer are located in my garage so I don't mind having a huge 5 gallon bucket beside the washing machine. I think if my laundry room was inside it might be a different. So here we go!

Ingredients: 
1 bar soap (Fels Naptha, Zote, or Ivory)
1/2 c Borax
1 c Washing soda 
4 cups water
Large 5 gallon bucket with lid (I think mine is actually 6 gallons)

 

Step 1: 
Grate the soap 

 

Step 2:
Take the 4 cups of water and pour into a large pot and then add soap shreds. Stir constantly over medium heat until soap is melted. You can use a whisk or spoon to stir - mixture will be pretty foamy when all the soap is melted. 

 



Step 3:
Fill your 5 gallon bucket 1/2 way up with hot tap water 

 

Step 4:
Add soap mixture then add in the Borax and the Washing soda and stir well. Check out my handsome little helper :) 

 


Step 5: 
Fill 5 gallon bucket the rest of the way up with hot tap water 

 


Step 6:
Cover with lid and let sit overnight. 

Next day you can take the lid off and make sure the detergent set up. It will be very congealed and gel like. Use 1/2 a cup per load of laundry. This detergent wont stud up like a store bought detergent.

 

Note: I used Zote soap for my detergent and it is a great stain fighter! I actually keep a bar beside my washing machine to rub straight on a stain. I have gotten tough stains out that have been washed and dried in. Next time I have one I will be sure to blog on it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment