Friday, March 2, 2012

Outdoor Chalkboard

Summer is approaching fast so I am starting to get some outdoor activities ready to keep Jasper busy! He's recently been into coloring so I thought about making a outdoor chalkboard. I saw a recipe on Pinterest on how to make your own chalkboard paint here Going Home to Roost. I know you can buy it already made but, by doing it this way you can use whatever color paint you want. So here we go! 

Materials you will need:

 

Board
Non-sanded grout 
Roller & paintbrush
Disposable cup
Plastic spoon to mix with
Flat latex paint (I got a quart of black)

Step 1:
Measure out 1 cup of water and pour into your disposable cup. Get a sharpie and mark on the outside where the 1 cup mark is. Dump the water out and dry the cup.


 

Step 2:
Pour your paint into the cup 


Step 3:
Add 2 Tablespoons of the grout 

 

Step 4:
Mix the paint and the grout together (this mixture will be very thick)

 

Step 5:
I tried pouring the mixture into the paint tray and rolling it on but this was no good at all for the first coat of paint. So I recommend just keeping it in the cup and using a paint brush. I noticed that if I used the paintbrush and then went over what I just painted with the roller that worked best for me.

(this was no bueno)


Step 6: 
Let the board dry and put as many coats as you want on. I put 3 coats of paint on mine and it took 2 cups of the paint/grout mixture. (On the website I got this recipe it says to only mix 1 cup at a time) 

 

Step 7:
Prop your board up and paint all the sides if you desire - then let completely dry


Step 8: 
Drill holes into your board. I drilled 8 since my board was pretty heavy. 

 

Step 9:
Attach to fence (I used screws to attach my board)


Step 10:
Let the little one get creative!





3 comments:

  1. Neat idea!! Jasper is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks great directives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making it look so easy, I am going to give this a try! :)

    ReplyDelete