Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lasagna

Jordan and I are getting to go away this weekend to Dallas and my wonderful in-laws are coming to stay at my house and keep Jasper. I decided to make a lasagna for them to just pop in the oven tomorrow night. My Mom made this growing up and it's still one of my favorite meals to make for Jordan and myself. Needless to say, he was VERY disappointed when he realized we were not having Lasagna tonight and it was for his parents this weekend.

Ingredients:


1 lb sausage
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
8 oz tomato puree (I can never find this size in the store so I always have to buy a huge can)
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp dried parsley
2 eggs
1 tsp salt & pepper
2 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
3/4 cups Parmesan cheese + more for the top
2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
9 lasagna noodles (I usually do 10 just in case 1 tears)

 Step 1:
Bring a large pot of water to boil for your noodles - don't forget to add salt to the boiling water! Also preheat the oven to 375 degrees.


Step 2:
While waiting on the water to boil cook the sausage in a large skillet (make sure the side of your skillet are high enough to accommodate the sauce that will be put in)


Step 3:
While the sausage is cooking you will mix together the cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well - notice how nice and yellow the yokes of my eggs are? They were given to be by a friend who have chickens! I love fresh eggs!


 

Step 4: 
Once your sausage is cooked drain off any fat and bring back to the stove and add the basil, tomato paste, sauce, and puree. Let simmer on low while your noodles finish cooking. 

 


Step 5: 
When your noodles are done drain the water off and rinse your noodles with cold water. 


Step 6: 
Take a 9X13 pan and lay out flat 3 of the noodles

 

Step 7:
Next put 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture on top of the noodles and spread out with a spatula


Step 8: 
Now put 1/2 the sausage mixture on top of the cottage cheese and spread out with a spatula


Step 9: 
Sprinkle 1 cup of the Mozzarella cheese on top of the sausage mixture


Step 10:
Lay 3 more noodles on top and repeat. Note: After I put my second layer of noodles down i use my hands and press on the noodles to level out the lasagna.

Step 11:
End with 3 noodles on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese 


Step 12: 
Cover with foil and bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees.
Enjoy!

*I'll post a picture of the finished product when I get back :)








2 comments:

  1. Well, there may not be any left when you get back!, LOL! I can't wait to taste it, but even more so, to play with the grandkids!,,,,, (I know you meant you were going to take a pic after it baked!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to see if y'all would take a picture of it for me when it's hot out of the oven :)

    ReplyDelete