Monday, March 28, 2011

Laundry Detergent

There are many things I do around the house to try and save money. One being I cloth diaper, second I try and make a lot of my own cleaning supplies, and thirdly I make my own laundry detergent! I made some today - so I thought I would share.
Ingredients:
1 box Borax $2.98
1 box Arm & Hammer Washing Soda $2.77
2 bars Fels-Naptha $0.97 each (I have also used Zote)
Optional: Essential Oil (Whatever scent you would like)
Total: Less than $8.00 and this will probably last 2-3 month (You only use about 2 Tablespoons when doing a full load)

Steps:
Grate the soap
Measure out 4 cups of borax & 4 cups washing soda in a large bowl
Add the soap shavings to the bowl & mix together
Next I put the mixture in my food processor to combine everything well (This step takes me forever because I have a TINY food processor)
Add to a container and place by your washing machine

I have been using this detergent for the past year and I absolutely love it! Gentle enough for Jasper's skin - and really keeps all our clothes very clean. Here are a few pictures of the steps.

Arm & Hammer Super Wash Soda, Detergent Booster 55 oz (1559 g)Dial Corp. 04303 Fels-Naptha Laundry Bar Soap20 Mule Team Borax Natural Laundry Booster & Multi-Purpose Household Cleaner 76 oz (2.15 kg)
Here are all the items on Amazon.com I can get all of them for less at my local Wal-Mart but just wanted to share the links!

2 comments:

  1. WOW how great is this!!! I think I might being trying this nifty little recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog:) you're quite the blogger hannah! all you need now are a few ads and you might even be able to bring in some income along w your money saving activities. great photos! martha brady

    ReplyDelete