Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Corn Tortillas

There are many things I try and make homemade instead of buying. Not only is is usually cheaper but it's also better for you! So we are having Fish Tacos for dinner tonight and here is my recipe for Corn Tortillas.


Ingredients:

2 cups MASA
1 1/8 cups water
1/2 t. salt (I used Kosher)

Equipment you will need:

Tortilla press (if you don't have one you can use a rolling pin)
Large Ziplock bag
Large skillet (I used my cast iron skillet)
Mixer & Knead hook (optional - you can do this buy hand)


Measure out all the ingredients and add to your bowl. I turned the mixer on low and let it go. I had to occasionally turn off the mixer and scrape the sides. You want the dough not to crumble so I ended up having to add about 4-6 Tablespoons additional water (just do 1 at a time). Once the dough has come together let it knead for 3 minutes



Note: This dough won't gather on your dough hook like a flour based dough.


While the mixer is hard at work get your Ziplock bag and you will need to cut it open leaving only the bottom seam intact. I even cut off the zipper part - it will look like a huge triangle when you are done.



Once your dough is done you will start forming balls. I just try and get them about all the same size. Once you are done rolling all the balls cover with a damp towel.


Look at the little sweetie "helping" momma. :)



Ok next you will lay the open Ziplock baggie on the tortilla press.


(If you do not have a press you will just lay the ball of dough in between the baggie and gently roll it out with a rolling pin)


 Place the dough in the middle of the press then I usually lay the other side of the baggie on top then close the press and apply gentle pressure. You don't want to completely flatten the tortillas you still want it a little thick.



 Next gently remove the tortilla off the baggie


Then place on a hot skillet. Cook 1 minute on each side.


Wrap in foil (or if you are fancy enough to have a tortilla holder put them in there). Tonight I will just stick them in oven on low for a few minutes to warm them through!

No comments:

Post a Comment